Studio de la Paloma Blog

Monday, July 03, 2006

Music as Muse

Music enlivens the artistic juices. Music entices the brush to dance. Music flirts, winks and seduces the image to appear on the canvas. Music sets and keeps the pace.

Music is so important to me in my creation of art. What I listen to while I'm working influences what I'm working on, therefore, I must be careful in my selection of music for the painting. I don't mean I'm painstakingly careful in my selection. I just mean I wouldn't choose, for the most part, anything in the "easy listening" catagory.

I like music with a strong, driving beat, like a pounding rain. Soak me in the sound. Vibrate every cell in my body. Shake me. Move me. Thrill me.

What happens a little later is that I'm not even conscious of the music. The music becomes the muse. Now painting is vibrating every cell in my body. I'm conscious and unconscious at the same time. I don't feel my body. I'm alive inside the paint. I exist on several planes. I travel. I commune. I'm drugged. I'm drunk. I can't explain it. I'm different. I'm fluid. I am so in love!

So what about you? What happens when you create? Does music play a part in your creation of art?

5 Comments:

  • Wish I could say that I purposely play music when I paint. But actually I usually just have the tv on. Mainly for the noise. Is that music? The sound of tv, music to my ears? :-)

    By Blogger Janets Planet, at 7:41 PM  

  • I forget to put music on, but if I do it ranges from opera to bhangra fusion (indian folk, hip hop and western mix) to folk. Sometimes I listen to bbc radio, usually newcastle via the net.

    I like the pounding of techno music.

    By Blogger jafabrit, at 7:53 AM  

  • Music is important to me although I am not an artist but a writer. I put on music when I use the tredmil or drive. I just like a music background. I have wondered if it is the influence of movies.

    By Blogger B.R.L, at 1:20 PM  

  • Certain kinds of music provoke certain types of art for me...

    By Blogger BD, at 7:22 PM  

  • What a great description of music and art singing together to get the creative juices going!

    By Blogger Lynette, at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home